A big worry for many gluten-free travelers is what they are going to eat in transit. Although some airports are getting better at providing gluten-free options, many people still travel with a huge back of gluten-free snacks. I admit, I am one of those people. From snacks for the airplane to food in case I can’t find any gluten-free food at my destination I usually carry on more food than most travelers. As a gluten-free traveler, I am sure you do too!
Here are some of my favorite carry-on travel foods that are gluten-free as well as healthy:
- Frozen grapes. Not only a great snack, but a great way to keep other food cold too. Since you can’t bring any type of liquids on the plane, this is a great alternative.
- Hard-boiled eggs. Eggs might be a little too stinky for the close-quarters of an airplane, but they are a great food to eat in the airport or once you land.
- Crackers and pretzels. My favorite snacks are Glutino cheddar crackers and their pretzel sticks. Put these in a hard-sided plastic container to avoid crushing in your bag.
- Trail mix. This can include Chex cereal, nuts, dried fruit, chocolate, sunflower seeds, and basically anything else you would like to add. Make a big bag and bring smaller snack-sized bags to eat throughout your trip.
- Sandwiches. Make a few sandwiches ahead of time and wrap in foil to keep cold next to those frozen grapes.
- Fruit. Fruit is a no brainer to me, especially apples, since they don’t require packaging or cutting. Just be careful when traveling internationally because many countries will make you throw your fruit away before going through customs.
Do you have any favorite gluten-free travel snacks? Leave your notes in the comments below.
This post is written in conjunction with the launch of a new website called The Balanced Platter. All throughout January, TBP has asked gluten-free bloggers to put together their thoughts on healthy, gluten-free living for the new year and beyond. I am thrilled to be a part of this month long blogging project. Please visit www.BalancedPlatter.com for more information.
The Balanced Platter is a one-stop shop for balanced, healthy gluten-free living. With their recent January 1st launch, they have different perspectives about living well on a gluten-free diet from top bloggers in the gluten-free arena. This will encompass recipes, tips, how-to’s, and product reviews.