A few weeks ago, I asked my friends on Twitter where I could get a meal at the Atlanta (ATL) airport. Within minutes, someone suggested PF Chang’s. While I didn’t have enough time to actually eat there, I thought I would collect some suggestions on where to get gluten-free food at the airport. Unfortunately, none of these meals are guaranteed since restaurants may or may not have the gluten-free food at the time but it is nice to know that gluten-free options are starting to be more available.
My Gluten-Free Airport Meal Suggestions
Airport: Edinburgh, Scotland (EDI)
Restaurant: Caffe Nero
Meal: Sandwich on Genius Gluten-Free Bread
Airport: London Heathrow (LHR)
Store: Marks & Spencer Simply Food
Meal: cut-up veggies, sandwiches marked “gluten-free”, and gluten-free muffins
Airport: Portland International Airport (PDX)
Store: Flying Elephant’s at PDX
Quinoa Black Bean Salad (as of April 2014 this salad is no longer GF) and baked goods from Petunia’s Pies and Pastries
Airport: General Mitchell International Airport, Milwaukee, WI (MKE)
Store: North Point
Meal: Gluten-free hamburger buns are available
Airport: Denver, Colorado (DIA)
- “At DIA, the Folks at Root Down DIA are doing some fun things for sure and serving great beer” ~ New Planet Beer
Airport: Atlantic City, NJ (ACY)
- “Five different packaged GF sandwiches at the snack shop at Atlantic City Airport.” ~ Gluten Free Philly
Airport: Regan National Airport, Arlington, VA (DCA)
- “California Tortilla (the DCA location) is a safe #glutenfree airport restaurant! @caltort #travel #celiac” ~ RellaBellaK
Airports: Tortonto Pearson International (YYZ) and Calgary International (YYC), Canada
- “I’ve had great #glutenfreesandwiches at the #yyz International) airport! Chili’s at the#yyc airport also has big selection of #gf dishes.” ~ Gluten-Free Calgary
Airport: Baltimore Washington International Airport, Baltimore, MD (BWI)
- “Chipotle in Baltimore not only has gluten free like all the other locations but ALSO gluten free breakfast!” ~ Anti Wheat Girl
Airports: Atlanta (ATL), Charlotte, Chicago, Philadelphia (PHL)
- “I usually google it before my trip begins so that I know whether I’ll be able to find anything. Orlando- none that I have had time to try. Atlanta- Chipotle. Charlotte- some sushi place near the US Airways terminal with GF soy sauce!! Chicago- CIBO Gourmet Market. Philadelphia- Cibo Bistro and Wine Bar (between terminals A and B)” ~ from Facebook
Airports: Boston (BOS), Philadelphia (PHL), Minneapolis-St. Paul (MSP)
- “Legal Seafood in BOS and PHL. Surdyk’s in MSP.” ~ from Facebook
Airports: London Heathrow, London, England (LHR)
- “Heathrow terminal 3 (London) have a Leon! LOADS of tasty GF options -http://leonrestaurants.co.uk/menu/all-day/” ~ from Facebook
Airport: Seattle Tacoma International Airport, Seattle, WA (SEA)
- “Dungeness Bay SeaFood House SEATAC Seattle WA. S Gate. No mention of GF on the posted Menu, but I figured it was worth an “interrogation” as I had my emergency food and Crab sounded really really good. I asked the waitperson who to talk to about Gluten, dairy and egg free choices and she knew everything! I was very impressed. I even got fries! They packed it “to-go”. We ate on the plane. http://www.portseattle.org/…/Documents/Final-South-Sat.pdf” ~ from Facebook
Airport: Chicago Midway International Airport (MDW) and Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD)
- ” Lalos tacos at Midway in Chicago and Chipotle at Dulles in DC. National Airport in DC has a CIBO Market as well—love those.” ~ from Facebook
Airport: Ministro Pistarini International Airport, Buenos Aires, Argentina (EZE)
- “#BuenosAires’ international airport had tons of #glutenfree options. It blew my mind! #CeliacDisease ~ @SophieBalzoraMD
Looking for even more gluten-free airport meal suggestions?
- Check out the March/April 2014 issue of Gluten-Free Living.
- Read the San Francisco International Airport (SFO) Round-Up by Triumph Dining.
- Check out the Dallas-Fort Worth Airport (DFW) list of healthy options including gluten-free!
- And finally, although it hasn’t been updated in more than 2 years, there is a Gluten-Free Airport blog that might have some tips. Considering the date, please check before getting to the airport to see if these options still exist!
I have been getting great reader tips ever since this post went live this morning. I will continue to add to this post as I learn more!
- London airports – Heathrow and Gatwick gluten free (LHR) by The Coeliac Plate
- Check out the “Be Free Village” in the Boise Airport (BOI), now serving gluten-free food!